Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mini Southwestern Meatloafs

I first saw this method for mini meatloaves on a blog called Meals and Moves (http://mealsandmoves.wordpress.com/meals/spinach-turkey-muffins/). Janetha would make these and then heat them up throughout the week for lunch and dinner. I thought it was a very clever idea and have wanted to come up with my own version for quite some time now. I really wanted to have a chipotle flavored meatloaf with lots of smoky heat and I think this recipe delivers. Serve with ketchup and hot sauce.







What You Need:




1 lb ground turkey
3 green onions, minced
¼ cup red onion, minced
1 - 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (to taste), minced
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt free chili powder
1 ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
Non stick cooking spray





What To Do:


Heat the oven to 350* and spray the inside of a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently mix with hands.











Divide mixture evenly among the 12 cups and sprinkle with more red pepper flakes.












Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until no longer pink. Serve with ketchup and hot sauce.













Serves 4



Bon Appétit!
Mary

4 comments:

Ameena said...

Great recipe Mary...I love that these can be made in small portions and are perfect for freezing!

I am in So Cal too by the way!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

Hi Ameena! The thing I liked most about Janetha's method was that cooking the meatloafs in muffun cups made portion sizes REALLY simple. In hindsight, I think some apple smoked cheddar chunks would have been SO GOOD in here... Next time! ;) -Mary

Julie said...

MINI MEATLOAVES!! haha i love making mini egg muffins but these mini meatloaves sound so fun!

MA where's the meatloaf!!??! hahaha guess what movie..

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

I def need to try out some egg muffins... like mini frittata's YUM! ...I'm thinking goat cheese in the center ;)

I've got another pound of turkey in the fridge begging to become a new version of mini loafs!!