Friday, July 8, 2011

My Friend Kim's Ceviche Recipe

A few years back my brother asked me to make him some ceviche, but I told him I had no idea how and that I’d never even tried it. I forgot about making and trying said ceviche until last summer, when I was having a potluck BBQ and my friend Kim said she wanted to bring her recipe. Finally I would get to try the elusive ceviche! When I first laid eyes on it I loved all the vibrant colors and textures. We always eat with our eyes first, right ? After seeing how pretty it was, I couldn’t wait to try it… It was love at first bite. The tender citrus flavored fish, the sweet mango, creamy avocado, bright cilantro and spicy Serrano pepper were all singing in my mouth. I couldn’t wait to find out how to make this delicious treat. When she described her method to me, I was eager to make my own as it seemed so simple. There’s just a bit of chopping involved but I promise, you won’t be disappointed. I love how this recipe is really hard to mess up. If you don’t like onion, just leave it out. If you love avocado, add two (you see where I’m going with this). Enjoy with lettuce wraps or with chips at your next BBQ and it’s sure to be a hit. No one needs to know how easy it is !





What You Need:



1 lb white fish, shrimp or scallops ¼” dice (I used ca halibut, sea bass & scallops)
Juice of 12 limes (or about 1 ½ cups bottled lime or lemon juice)
1 medium mango, ¼“dice (about 1 cup)
½ medium red onion, ¼“dice (about 1 cup)
1 large or 2 small avocados, ¼“dice
1 small bunch cilantro, minced (about ½ - ¾ cups)
1 - 2 serrano or jalapeno peppers, minced (removed seeds if you’re a spice wimp)
Kosher salt to taste (optional)



What To Do:

Combine lime juice and fish in a Ziploc bag. ‘Cook’ the fish in the refrigerator for 3 hours or until cooked through. Drain most of the juice and keep cool.











While the fish ‘cooks’, chop up all your veggies and fruit and set aside.



Once fish is done, combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve with lettuce (for lettuce wraps) and chips.







Print this recipe. (<--- click here to print!)

**Edited to add: Makes 12 - 1/3c servings

Nutritional Stats for 1 Serving

















Bon Appétit!
Mary



12 comments:

Biz said...

I've never done civeche before, but it looks great - um, sans the onions, I can't do onions. :D

Hope you have a great weekend!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Biz: I hadn't either until last summer... SO easy & SO tasty! I highly recommend it ;)

Donna Elick said...

This looks lovely!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ The Slow Roasted Italian: Thank you !

Pam said...

The perfect summer meal!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Pam: I couldn't agree more. What's better than cooking without actually cooking?!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Oh. My. Goodness. So fresh, simple, and you don't actually have to cook anything haha!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Kristen: I know! It really is the perfect summer meal.

Cait's Plate said...

Your photos are AMAZING!! That ceviche looks amazing - I've never made one myself (or even eaten one out!) but this post just convinced me I should!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Cait's Plate: Thank you. :) I hope you like it. It sure doesn't last long in this house!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga said...

wow that looks soooo good

i love mango anything! :)

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Averie: I'm the same way ! ...and in this recipe it adds the perfect amount of creamy sweeteness.