Friday, March 25, 2011

Egg White Salad

I used to love getting the pre-made egg white salad from Trader Joe’s, but it’s pretty darn expensive ?! Paying almost three bucks for something I could easily make at home was out of the question. I’ve made many versions of this salad, but decided to make the standard version today. If you’ve got fresh or dried dill on hand, I highly recommend it! I also like Italian parsley and red pepper flakes for a slightly Italian spin on things. Serve on whole wheat bread with lettuce for a super satisfying, low cholesterol version of an old favorite. If you make it a day ahead (but it's not a must) the flavors really have a chance to meld, making the salad even more flavorful.









What You Need:





4 hardboiled egg whites, finely chopped
1 capful apple cider vinegar
2 tsp mayo or Greek yogurt
½ tsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp turmeric (to give it that ‘egg salad yellow’ color, so it’s optional)
¼ tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp kosher salt




What To Do:



Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and serve on whole wheat bread with lettuce or with crackers.




**Edited to add: makes 1 heaping cup serving

Nutritional Stats for Entire Recipe



















Bon Appétit!
Mary

12 comments:

Stephen said...

This looks really good Mary. My farays into egg salad are usually a last minute scavenging. This has a much better presentation factor.

The Healthy Apple said...

I love egg salad; such a perfect lunchtime staple in my home...it reminds me of growing up as a kid...my mother made it all the time and it's always so delish...I love your recipe and I often add a dash of curry powder to my egg salad for an extra flavor kick.
Enjoy your weekend!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Stephan: lol & thank you. This recipe was first created in a haphazard sort of way, but I've been eating it so often for lunches that I figured it was time to share the recipe that's become my go to lunch these days.

@ The Healthy Apple: We used to enjoy egg salads in our house while growing up, although I'm pretty sure my Mom's version included celery and plain old yellow mustard. I'll have to add a sprinkle of curry powder next time... sounds like a great addition!

Renee Paj said...

wow...this really sounds and looks wonderful. Egg salad is one of those things I sometimes crave, but doesn't quite fit into my current lifestyle. But this one certainly would! thanks!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Renee: I'm with you. This salad satisfies my craving for an old fashioned egg salad with out over loading me with cholesterol.

Jun said...

Mmmm, I think I'd have this for breakfast.

R said...

But egg yolks are so healthy. . . did you need them for something else?

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Rogo: I didn't... I had already had my eggs (with yolks) for breakfast, so I didn't want to over do it in the cholesterol department.

Katia said...

This looks delicious. Do you think I could replace mayonnaise with something else? Maybe a sauce made with olive oil and lemon juice? :) Thanks!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Katia: Thank you! I think that using olive oil & lemon juice would work just fine. I'd start with 2 tsp oil & 1 tsp lemon juice whisked together with a pinch of salt & pepper.

Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

haha I just came from Julies post about the egg white salad and then I clicked here and you have it homemade! YUM looks delicious and cannot wait to try it!

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

@ Naomi: Sweet! Let me know what you think if you end up trying it. Curious to see what you think. Thanks for taking the time to comment ;)