Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole

One of my most favorite things to eat is Mexican food, but not just any Mexican food… Enchiladas to be specific. Today I decided that I wanted to put a fun spin on my usual enchilada recipe by making it into a casserole. This casserole not only tastes great the day you make it, but make a double batch and freeze half for a rainy day when you don’t feel like cooking. Enchiladas happen to be one of my favorite ways to use up left over roasted meats and vegetables. Just add some cheese and enchilada sauce and … BOOM! Dinner is served. Top with your favorite garnishes: guacamole, salsa, sour cream/ Greek yogurt and hot sauce.














What You Need:






1 – 1.25 lbs ground turkey
6 - fajita sized whole wheat tortillas (or any tortilla you like), each torn in half
2 – 12 oz jars red enchilada sauce
1 – 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes with green peppers, partially drained
1 – 4 oz can green chilies
1 – 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium brown onion, diced
1 medium sweet potato (orange inside), micro waved until tender (6-7min), then diced
6 large cloves garlic, minced
½ - 1 ¼ cup shredded cheese (optional & to taste)
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 Tbs, plus 1 tsp cumin (or to taste)
1 Tbs, plus 2 tsp salt free chili powder (or to taste – I like Spice Hunter)
½ tsp kosher salt, divided
½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper, divided






What To Do:



Heat half of the oil in a large skillet and sauté onion for 6 minutes over medium heat seasoned with ¼ tsp salt and pepper, adding garlic during the last minute of cooking. Once the vegetables are cooked, push them to the outside of the pan.









Add the remaining oil and brown meat until cooked thoroughly, about 7-9 minutes over medium high heat, seasoned with spice mixture, salt and pepper.












Next, add all of the remaining ingredients into the pan, except for the cheese and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes, then remove from heat.












Preheat oven to 350*. Spray the inside of a large baking dish (13x9) with cooking spray. Layer the meat mixture, cheese, enchilada sauce and tortillas, making sure that the top layer of the casserole is the enchilada sauce and cheese.








Bake for 35-45 minutes tented with foil, or until bubbling, and then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes with the foil off so that the cheese can brown. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before trying to serve.





Serves 8 (Bake in two separate, smaller pans and freeze one!)



Bon Appétit!
Mary

6 comments:

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

I have a jar of that TJs sauce I brought back from cali! I know how I am using it. This looks SO, SO good.

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

Thanks Janetha! Let me know if you try it ;)

I think the only thing I'd change is to add another sweet potato for a little more of that creamy sweetness...

-m

Biz said...

I can eat Mexican every day and never get sick of it - your dish looks delicious!

I saw your comment on Janetha's blog, and I too just recently discovered Indian food and am in love with the flavor combinations.

Here is my recipe for chicken tikka masala - so simple I made it before work today for my lunch (I skipped the marinating part, so my chicken wasn't as tender, but it was still good!)

http://mybizzykitchen.com/2010/03/09/more-indian-food/

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

Biz, Thank you SO much for the link! I'll def have to check it out :) -m

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life said...

I'm drooling at work looking at those casserole pics! Yum! : )

Cassie said...

Wow, these look YUM - black beans, potatoes and enchiladas are three of my husband's favorites, he would definitely go nuts for this one!