Friday, September 17, 2010

Simple Tomato Salad

Last night I was making dinner and knew I wanted to come up with a quick and easy salad to go with it. I opened my crisper and realized that I had no lettuce. Shoot! What’s a gal to do? I dug deep into the drawer and found a couple of tomatoes, half a red onion and an English cucumber… and a light bulb went off in my head. A lettuce-less salad was in order! The key to this recipe is making all of the vegetables the same size and in equal amounts. Seems simple enough, right? Right. I happened to have heirloom tomatoes, but any kind would have worked. I’m actually eating the leftovers of this salad right now and it tastes even better today than it did last night. What’s your favorite simple salad ?











What You Need:




3/4 English cucumber, cut into bite sized pieces
2 large tomatoes, cut into bit sized pieces
½ red onion, cut into bite sized pieces
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs aged balsamic vinegar (regular balsamic would work fine here)
1 tsp agave or honey (to taste)
¼ tsp kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper (to taste)
Red pepper flakes to taste



What To Do:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.




Makes 5 – 1 cup servings


Bon Appétit!
Mary

2 comments:

We Are Not Martha said...

I love that you added agave/honey and red pepper flakes! So many awesome flavors :)

Sues

Danica's Daily said...

Beautiful! I LOVE Heirloom tomatoes this time of year.