Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thyme & Sage Roasted Chicken

Roasting a chicken is very therapeutic for me. What is more relaxing than massaging a bird with herbs and spices? Tell me I’m not the only one. I love how the aroma of the garlic and herbs fill the house for hours after the chicken has been cooked. There’s nothing more heart warming to me than roast chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy. Not only is roast chicken a wonderful meal to enjoy with family and friends, but nothing will go to waste. After you’ve enjoyed your meal, don’t throw away the chicken bones! I always save the remaining chicken and make stock for soups (or anywhere you would use canned broth). Some call this liquid gold. It’s so flavorful and easy to make, I think you should give it a try just once and you’ll see what I mean. If I don’t have time to make the stock right away, I’ll store the bones in the freezer until I do. You may be thinking…There’s NO way I’m making chicken stock, it’s too complicated! I urge you to give it a try. I’ll be posting my version of chicken stock soon!





What You Need:



1 – 5-6 lb chicken
1 bunch fresh thyme
1 bunch fresh sage
1 lemon, quartered
1 head garlic, top removed
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Chicken broth for bottom of pan, if drippings begin to smoke



What To Do:

Preheat oven to 425*.


Remove all giblets from bird and rinse with cool water and pat dry.









Once dry, rub entire chicken with oil. Using your hands gently separate skin from bird and rub oil under skin.








Next, massage salt and pepper into the cavity, under the skin and over the skin.








Take half of the herbs, garlic and lemon and stuff them into the cavity. Take remaining herbs and stuff it between the skin and the chicken.








Place prepared bird into a V-shaped rack (or any high sided baking pan you have) in a large roasting pan. Roast in oven for 1 ¼ - 1 ¾ hours (40-60 minutes in a convection oven). Baste if desired. Using a meat thermometer, check the temperature by inserting into the thickest part of the thigh. The thermometer should read 170*.





Allow chicken to rest for 10-15 minutes before carving, tented with foil. If desired, make gravy with pan drippings and serve with roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes.



Number of servings depends on size of chicken.



Bon Appétit!
Mary

1 comment:

Julie said...

my mom loveeeeeeeees making chix this way! haha i love how you find it so theraputic! no need for massages haha